Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My favorite drug just got better

In the back of my mind I was trying to come up with an awesome first post for our Senior Seminar blog. (The front of my mind was being used to surf Facebook.) So there I was, using Facebook to creep on people instead of actually talking to them in person, when I finished my third cup of coffee that day and it hit me. My first blog post would be about my favorite drug. (That would, of course, be coffee.) I did some searching and found some interesting information. Not only does coffee give you a boost of energy, but it also has added health benefits!
Most of these effects increase as you drink more coffee:
  • Less likely to develop Parkinson's,
  • Reduces risk of colon and skin cancer,
  • Reduces risk of liver cirrhosis,
  • Halves the risk of gallstones,
  • Counteracts the effects of smoking and heavy drinking on the heart and liver damage,
  • Manages asthma and controls attacks,
  • Helps manage diabetes (improves insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism),
  • Stops headaches (in my book, this translates to "cures hangovers"),
  • Prevents cavities (bitter antibacterial properties),
  • Boosts athleticism (greater endurance and performance).
All those great benefits are thanks to the caffeine and antioxidants packed into a single 8-ounce cup of Joe.

Of course, drinking too much coffee can be a bad thing.

You may be drinking too much coffee if:
  • You have increased nervousness,
  • Your hand or leg keeps trembling,
  • You have a very rapid heartbeat.

I had thought it was impossible to drink "too much" coffee, but about a year ago I found out I was wrong. After a few weeks of waving away my friends' concerns that six cups of coffee was overdoing it, I started to notice that I had the last two symptoms plus a lovely ominous, recurring pain in my chest.

Taking the hint, I quit coffee cold turkey for a whole two weeks. After the first week, my body got used to making its own energy again instead of relying on a constant stream of caffeine, so I no longer thought I was dying. After the second week, all of the symptoms were gone. When I decided to pick up drinking coffee again, I decided it was best to limit myself to three cups a day.

And coffee isn't for everyone. Some people should be very careful about drinking coffee.

People who should avoid or limit coffee:
  1. Pregant women,
  2. People with heart conditions  

Well, there you go. Now I can get back to killing this last cup of Joe.

Check out this website for the original article.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post, tt was pretty entertaining. I like you tend to drink a great deal of caffeine each day, just not in the coffee form. I didn't know that all those health affects could happen though just by drinking coffee especially the effect on Parkinson prevention. ( and nice hangover add in haha )

    ReplyDelete