Monday, February 22, 2010

Saunas: good or bad?

After pumping iron, I love to cool down with a few laps in the pool and end with relaxing in the hot tub. Last time though, my friend convinced me to give the sauna a try. At first, I didn’t want to since I was hungry and wanted to just go hit Subway, but when he said “You’ll feel like a million bucks in the morning” I was sold.


Fast forward by fifteen minutes. There I was, sweating my Charlie Browns off. As my eyes started to feel like eggs frying on the sidewalk, I started wondering what possible benefit this legalized torture could possibly have. That was when I decided that I would use my fourth blog post to get some answers. Which was difficult to do, since the next morning I had a massive migraine. I blame the sauna.

First, I tried Youtube and found this subtly creepy video about sauna health benefits.




All he mentioned was that saunas are good for people with Arthritis and your immune system.
Since that wasn’t much help, I kept searching. Then I found this website by the North American Sauna Society.

They mention these health benefits:
  • Improved circulation
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Cardiovascular health (gives your heart a mini-workout)
  • Increased resistance to illness
  • Relieves congestion
  • Removes toxins and impurities
  • Reduces pain from sunburn
  • Relieves tension, stress, and mental fatigue
  • Better and more restful sleep
  • Burns calories
  • Maintains clear and healthy skin
  • Helps with kidney function


You should avoid using the sauna if you have any of these complications:
  • Heart disease
  • High blood pressure
  • Asthma
  • Skin condition
  • Running a fever
  • Inflammatory disease
  • An injury
  • Contagious disease


Other notes:
  • Moderate sauna use is safe for pregnant women
  • Sauna use will not cure a hangover (damnit!)

Well, that’s all I found. I see why people use the sauna now, but I think I prefer the hot tub, thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you give home saunas a shot! Saunas offer a lot of advantages to its users. In addition to what you mentioned above, another health benefit of sauna is it kills bacteria, fungi and viruses in the body. This body cleansing process happens when your body temperature is soaring. Apart from that, it is also a good bonding activity that you can share with your friends and family.

    Neil Dalby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving this information about saunas.
    Very useful post.
    far infrared sauna

    ReplyDelete